If you're ever in a situation where you need to wait for roadside assistance, it's important to be as safe as possible. Many drivers are not aware of this, but there are a few designated spots that are much safer than standing on the side of the road.
In this post, we will be discussing the three best places to stay while waiting for help, as well as eight tips to help keep you safe until your tow truck arrives. Stay safe and stay comfortable!
The 3 Safest Places to Wait for Roadside Assistance
Inside your vehicle
The first and most obvious place to wait for roadside assistance is in your own car. If you're able to drive a short distance off of the road, this will create a buffer between you and oncoming traffic. Make sure to turn on your hazard lights so that other drivers are aware of your situation.
If you're unable to drive your car, you should still stay inside with the doors locked. It's important to be aware of your surroundings at all times and not to let anyone that you don't know approach your vehicle.
In a nearby business
If there's a gas station, restaurant, or other business nearby, this is usually the second safest place to wait for roadside assistance. It's important to let the staff know what's going on so that they can keep an eye out for you.
When choosing a business to wait in, try to pick one that is well-lit and has security cameras. This will help deter any potential criminals from targeting you.
A police or fire station
If you're really not comfortable waiting in either of the above places, the third safest option is to go to a police or fire station. This is usually only necessary if you feel like you're in danger or if it's late at night.
Most police and fire stations have 24-hour security, so you can rest assured that you'll be safe while you wait.
Eight Tips to Stay Safe While Waiting for Roadside Assistance
- Stay inside your vehicle: As we mentioned before, staying inside your car is always the safest option when waiting for roadside assistance. If you have to get out for any reason, make sure to lock the doors behind you.
- Keep your doors locked: Even if you're just sitting in your car, it's important to keep the doors locked. This will deter any potential criminals from approaching you.
- Don't accept help from strangers: If someone offers to help, it's best to politely decline and wait for the professionals. There have been many reports of criminals posing as Good Samaritans in order to rob stranded motorists.
- Be aware of your surroundings: This is always important, but it's especially crucial when you're waiting for roadside assistance. Make sure to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity.
- Make sure your car is visible to tow trucks: If you're able to drive a short distance off of the road, this will make it easier for the tow truck to find you. If you're unable to move your car, try to position it in a way that makes it as visible as possible.
- Turn on your hazard lights: This is a good idea regardless of where you're waiting for roadside assistance. Hazard lights will let other drivers know that you're in a precarious situation.
- Stay on the phone with the dispatcher: Once you've called for roadside assistance, it's important to stay on the phone with the dispatcher until help arrives. This way, they can keep track of your location and send help if anything goes wrong.
- Don't wander off: It's tempting to try to find help on your own, but it's best to stay put and wait for the professionals. Wandering off can put you in danger and make it harder for roadside assistance to find you.
Remember to always use caution when stranded on the side of the road. If you are in Salt Lake City or the neighboring areas, or if ever you need roadside assistance and towing services near you, be sure to give the towing experts at Jerry Lambert Automotive a call! We're always happy to help.
We at Jerry Lambert Automotive strongly encourage and promote safe driving. But sometimes things could go wrong and you may need roadside assistance and towing services in the future.
We offer reliable and affordable towing and roadside assistance services in Salt Lake City, Utah, and the surrounding areas. We understand that when your vehicle breaks down, it can be a stressful experience. That’s why we respond immediately on a 24/7 basis so you can rest assured knowing that help is on the way.